Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Blog entry 11 :My chosen Story




The story that i choose is "The Shinning" by Stephen king. I choose this story because it fits perfectly with our English course "supernatural".Ive heard about Stephan king books and even seen people reading his books on the train.I was glad to see that "The shinning" even had came out with a movie that i remembered watching in a movie class i had in high school.I am looking forward to seeing if the book is the same as the movie.
The Plot to this book is a hotel is place on a mountain in which a family goes to stay at.The father is a writer and the mother is a women with the good intentions of keeping her family together.Together there is a son whom seems to be able to speak to ghost and notices two twin sisters standing in the hotel hallway during a day the family was stuck in a snow storm. The father attempts to murder his family but will they ever make it out the hotel? (You must read the book in order to find out what happens next)
For my final project i will be using Psychoanalytic Criticism i feel no one else in the class will take that approach since we haven't discussed much of it during class.I remember learning it in my phys.101 class and noticed Stephan king uses no explicit sexual scene in the novel, many Freudian metaphorical representations of sexuality were noted. 'Misery' also dwelt on a battle of the sexes as fought between the main protagonist, Paul Sheldon, and Annie Wilkes, the middle-aged, manic depressive woman who 'took care' of him after surviving a car wreck.I feel if i try the psychoanalytic criticism approach i can open my broad of the Freud theory as well.


2 comments:

  1. Interesting choice, but I think you made a little mistakes with spelling Stephen King's name and I think "The shinning" should be "The Shinning". This is cool though, Stephen King is one of my favorites. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your feedback

    ReplyDelete